So it’s snowing outside, and during Winter I need a soup to get me through. My latest obsessed has been my spin off version of Hot & Sour Soup. It came about because I was thinking about Hot & Sour Soup and was trying to see if I could make it Vegan.
You definitely can add what you want, whatever you have on hand, and it will still be delicious. I personally use green cabbage, mushrooms, onions, and tofu.
So I begin with a little sesame oil and canola oil and sauté thinly sliced mushrooms and thinly sliced onions in a soup pot on medium high heat until mushrooms are smaller and softer and onions are translucent. Definitely keep an eye on them as they might stick to the bottom and start to burn.
I add about a 1/4 cup of water and my cabbage (I used a whole small cabbage), cover and lower to medium. I let the cabbage cook and soften for about 7 minutes stirring occasionally. This would be the time that I add the minced garlic, minced ginger, 1/4 cup of soy sauce, 2 tbsp’s of yellow curry powder and cayenne to taste.
For the vegetable broth base you can totally use store bought, pre-made broth in those cardboard containers. I personally love using Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base paste and adding water. It has a more flavorful taste and is way better than store bought broth. I personally make my broth a little stronger (3 tbsp’s of paste for 6 cups of water). The best thing about this paste is that you can make your broth weaker or stronger based on your preference.
I then add in 1 or 2 tbsp’s of Thai Kitchen’s Red Curry Paste (which is spicy) and stir in. After the broth and paste are in, I add 1/4 cup of rice vinegar and bring it to a boil. This is the point where I would add the tofu and boil for about 5 minutes.
If you want even more of a kick then add hot sauce! I added a couple shakes but this is optional for people who don’t want a lot of spice.
Spicy Tofu Soup
- 1 block of firm/extra firm tofu
- 1 small green cabbage (or 1/2 large green cabbage)
- 1 small onion sliced thinly
- 6-7 Baby Bella Mushrooms thinly sliced
- 6 cups of water + 1/4 cup of water
- 2-3 tbsp Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp yellow curry powder
- 2 tbsp Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste
- Hot Sauce (optional)
- Add sesame oil and canola oil to a soup pot and turn to medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add sliced mushrooms and sliced onions. Sauté for around 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and cabbage. Cover, lower heat to medium and let cook for about 7 minutes. Stir occasionally so nothing sticks.
- Add curry powder, cayenne, garlic, ginger, and soy sauce. Stir to combine.
- Add 6 cups of water, vegetable base paste (or 6 cups of vegetable broth), red curry paste, vinegar, and pieces of tofu and return to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add hot sauce and stir. Serve into bowls and garnish with green onion.
Let me know if you make this! Tag me on Instagram: christinaglake